The conductor, pianist and composer Georg Schumann (1866-1952) is one of the artists whose collaboration with the Berliner Philharmonisches Orchester was amongst the longest and most regular. In 1887, Schumann appeared in a concert with the orchestra for the first time. From 1900, the Philharmoniker were Schumann’s preferred orchestra for world and German premieres of his works. The Philharmoniker were a regular partner of the Sing-Akademie zu Berlin whose director Schumann was from 1900 to 1952, and together they gave up to a dozen concerts a year.
This fruitful partnership is documented in an exhibition in the south foyer of the Philharmonie which has been organised in cooperation with the Berliner Philharmoniker Archives, the Georg Schumann Gesellschaft Berlin, and the music department and Mendelssohn archive of the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Schumann’s birth.