It is almost foolhardy to consider the sky over Berlin as a venue for chamber music. Only musicians with a real head for heights are willing to risk force 7 winds on the roof of Berliner Verlag, the publishing house in the centre of Berlin, near the TV tower. With hats pulled down over their faces, the Berliner Philharmoniker Wind Quintet performed the 3rd movement from the Quintet in D major op. 95 by Josef Bohuslav Foerster.
The Berliner Philharmoniker thank the Berliner Zeitung and TIP for their support.
Between 1852 and 1856 in Belforter Straße, the first public water supply system was built for Berlin – a 3,000-cubic-meter open water tank. This reservoir then received a roof during a redevelopment of the system in 1873. Today, the reservoir building is used for cultural projects.
Timpanist Wieland Welzel and drummer Raphael Haeger took inspiration from these historic rooms for their sound experiment.
The Berliner Philharmoniker thank the “Förderband – Kulturinitiative Berlin” for their support.
Potsdamer Platz in Berlin is and has been many things: A simple intersection just outside Berlinʼs historic gates; a railway station forecourt; a traffic junction where Europeʼs first traffic light was installed in 1924; an area where the Berlin Wall stood. Now it is one of the busiest squares in Europe. Here, on the back of a truck, the Philharmonia Quartet gave a short concert with the 1st movement from Ludwig van Beethovenʼs String Quartet op. 59 No. 1 in F major.
The Berliner Philharmoniker thank the haulage company Kanitz for their support.
At the end of August, two of the orchestraʼs horn players, Sarah Willis and Klaus Wallendorf, performed in a chamber particularly conveniently located for public transport. Less than five minutes from the original – the Chamber Music Hall – the new Berlin Central Station was opened in May 2006 and is used by 300,000 travellers every day. The 16 tracks on three levels are connected by 32 glass elevators and in one of them, a work of Johann Sebastian Bach was performed: the two-part Inventio XII in A major BWV 783 for keyboard, arranged for two horns by Oscar Franz.
The Berliner Philharmoniker thank Deutsche Bahn and their passengers for their patience and support.
The search for the perfect photo led violist Martin Stegner and clarinetist Manfred Preis to number 63 Schönhauser Allee where there is still one of those lovely old-fashioned photo booths. Each of the four pictures is a surprise as none of them turned out quite as planned. Five minutes are needed to develop and print them – just enough time for a mini-concert in what is the smallest concert hall the musicians of the Berliner Philharmoniker have ever played in. The piece performed was Perfidia by Alberto Dominguez.
The Berliner Philharmoniker thank the company Photoautomat for their support.
Once upon a time, there were two musicians from the Berliner Philharmoniker who set off in search of the land of silence and clever thoughts. They found it in the library of the Jacob- und Wilhelm-Grimm-Zentrum, named after the brothers Grimm of fairytale fame. Late at night, after almost all visitors had left the building, Nikolaus Römisch and Andreas Buschatz tuned their instruments and played a Passacaglia based on a theme by Handel in a version by Johan Halvorsen for violin and cello.
The Berliner Philharmoniker thank the Humboldt University in Berlin for their support.
Although the old yellow telephone booths have actually disappeared from the German urban landscape, we have managed to turn back time thanks to a film industry props supplier. As a result, a 1 square metre concert hall appeared on Berlin’s Straße des 17. Juni, near to the Charlottenburger Tor. After finding the correct position for himself and his instrument in the booth, Alexander von Puttkamer, tuba player of the Berliner Philharmoniker, gave his concert. The piece performed was the first movement (Grave) from the Concerto “Saint Marc” by Tomaso Albinoni.
Giacomo Meyerbeer’s Fackeltanz (Torch dance) No. 3 should be performed as close to the stars as possible. Less than seven kilometres from the chamber music hall of the Philharmonie, the Philharmoniker Götz Teutsch (cello) and Alexander Bader (clarinet) together with the pianists Cordelia Höfer and Minka Popovic and four students of the Orchestra Academy of the Berliner Philharmoniker found the perfect place: The Zeiss-Großplanetarium Berlin at Prenzlauer Allee 80, where a cloudless starry sky shone down on the huge planetarium dome to accompany the music.
We thank the staff of the Zeiss-Großplanetarium Berlin and the Stiftung Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin for their support.
Music is not unusual in itself in an operating theatre. However, it usually comes from some old radio and classical music is rarely heard. Of course, there is never live music – except on the day on which the sounds of Josef Suk’s Piano Quartet in A minor filled the operating theatre. In order not to disrupt hospital operations, a day was chosen for the shoot when no operations were scheduled. Five doctors, three nurses, three members of the Berliner Philharmoniker – Christoph Streuli (violin), Martin von der Nahmer (viola), David Riniker (cello) – and by video link – Adrian Oetiker (piano), together with photographers and a film crew, met up in a seldom used operating theatre in the Virchow-Klinikum in Berlin. The shoot went as smoothly as every operation, and no anaesthetic was necessary.
We thank the staff of the Virchow-Klinikum of the Charité Berlin for their support.
More to follow...