In spring 1882 Benjamin Bilse announced plans to take his already underpaid orchestra to Warsaw travelling fourth class. 50 of his musicians reached breaking point. Calling themselves the “former Bilse Kapelle”, they declared their independence. Right from the start the young ensemble received administrative support from the Berlin concert agent Hermann Wolff. On his advice, the group changed its name to “Berliner Philharmonisches Orchester”. In search of a suitable concert hall, Wolff turned a renovated roller-skating rink into the first “Philharmonie”; he organised subscription concerts and sought out the best conductor at the time for his musicians.